SUMMARY: We are sharing with you the empowerment of marginal societies strategies and request your support in the execution of the strategies. Please read detailed information about our strategies and then fill out the Donation Form at the end of this page.
The World Health Organisation (WHO, 2020) breaks down the concept of community empowerment as follows:
- Community empowerment refers to the process of enabling communities to increase control over their lives.
- Communities are groups of people that may or may not be spatially connected, but who share common interests, concerns or identities. These communities could be local, national or international, with specific or broad interests.
- Empowerment refers to the process by which people gain control over the factors and decisions that shape their lives. It is the process by which they increase their assets and attributes and build capacities to gain access, partners, networks and/or a voice, in order to gain control.
- Enabling implies that people cannot ‘be empowered’ by others; they can only empower themselves by acquiring more of power’s different forms.
- Empowerment as action refers both to the process of self-empowerment and to professional support of people, which enables them to overcome their sense of powerlessness and lack of influence, and to recognize and use their resources.
(Adapted from World Health Organisation, 2020; emphasis added)
SiA recommends the following ways or strategies to facilitate and promote innovation of social and economic development initiatives that will help marginal communities to achieve sustainable economic and social development
Strategy #1: Promote innovation of social and economic development initiatives for marginal communities
➠ Design and implement projects that focus on accelerating sustainable development
➠ Conduct training and facilitation sessions
➠ Induce collaboration with other national and international organizations with interest in innovation of development initiatives
Strategy 2: Facilitate social and economic marginal communities development initiatives
➠ Provide technical support to marginal communities groups in their social and economic development issues
➠ Link development stakeholder and Marginal communities
Call for Donations and/or Partnership
SiA is requesting your donation to support the implementation of the above strategies.
Use the following form to notify SiA about your donation interest. We will get back to you as soon as possible.