Meaning of Youth empowerment
Youth empowerment is a process where children and young people are encouraged to take charge of their lives. They do this by addressing their situation and then take action in order to improve their access to resources and transform their consciousness through their beliefs, values, and attitudes.
Purpose of youth empowerment
Youth empowerment aims to improve quality of life. Youth empowerment is achieved through participation in youth empowerment programs.
Youth empowerment movement
Empowerment movements, including youth empowerment, originate, gain momentum, become viable, and become institutionalized.
Youth empowerment is often addressed as a gateway to intergenerational equity, civic engagement and democracy building. Activities may focus on youth-led media, youth rights, youth councils, youth activism, youth involvement in community decision-making
Types or dimensions of empowerment
There are six types or dimensions of youth empowerment namely; psychological, community, organizational, economic, social and cultural.
- Psychological empowerment enhances individual’s consciousness, belief in self-efficacy, awareness and knowledge of problems and solutions and of how individuals can address problems that harm their quality of life.This dimension aims to create self-confidence and give youth the skills to acquire knowledge.
- Community empowerment focuses on enhancing the community through leadership development, improving communication, and creating a network of support to mobilize the community to address concerns.
- Organizational empowerment aims to create a base of resources for a community, including voluntary organizations, unions and associations that aim to protect, promote and advocate for the powerless.
- Economic empowerment teaches entrepreneurial skills, how to take ownership of their assets and how to have income security.
- Social empowerment teaches youth about social inclusion and literacy as well as helping kids find the resources to be proactive in their communities.
- Cultural empowerment aims to recreate cultural practices and redefine cultural rules and norms for youth.
SiA recommends the following ways or strategies to promote youths social, educational, economic, political, and psychological empowerment for their sustainable social and economic development
Strategy #1: Promote innovation of social, educational, economic, political, and psychological youth empowerment projects
➠ Design and implement projects that focus on youth empowerment
➠ Conduct training and facilitation sessions
➠ Induce collaboration with other national and international organizations with interest in youth empowerment
Strategy #2: Facilitate youths social, educational, economic, political, and psychological empowerment
➠ Provide technical support to youth in their social and economic development issues
➠ Link youths and development stakeholders
➠ Help youth to access and to take advantage of social and economic opportunities
Call for Partnership and/or Collaboration
Use the following form to express your Partnership/Collaboration interest.