Facts about Environment
- The amount of wood and paper we throw away each year is enough to heat 50,000,000 homes for 20 years.
- Rainforests are being cut down at the rate of 100 acres per minute.
- Over 6 million hectares of primary (old growth) forest are lost each year around the world
- The world uses 160,000 plastic bags every second.
- Plastic bags and other plastic garbage thrown into the ocean kill as many as 1,000,000 sea creatures every year.
- Plastic is Forever. It doesn’t bio-grade and go back to nature. It photo-degrades into smaller pieces of itself, continually polluting the environment throughout its life cycle.
- A modern glass bottle takes 4000 years or more to decompose.
- We have already destroyed 27% of our coral reefs which is home to 25% of our marine life.
- 35% of mangroves (nurseries to marine life) have been lost in just 20 years
- Over 70% of the world’s fish stocks are either fully exploited or depleted
- In the last 170 years, we added 2.4 trillion tons of Carbon Dioxide into our atmosphere. Half of this was added in the last 35 to 50 years.
- Only 3% of our planet’s water is drinkable. 97% of it is salt water. More than half of the Earth’s fresh water can be found frozen in the glaciers. The rest is underground.
- The water in our lakes, ponds, streams, rivers, ponds and other surface water makes up 0.3% of our fresh water resource.
- Agriculture uses up 70% of our global freshwater. It goes up to 90% in fast developing countries.
FACT…! We talk about “Saving the Environment” – but the truth is we are really trying to save ourselves. The Earth has been around for billions of years. If we damage it or hurt it in any way, it will just cleanse and renew itself – and how the planet will do that is not going to be healthy for the living things that thrive on it.
FACT…!: You can see it, feel it, hear it, touch it, eat it and interact with it. You are surrounded by Life and Nature – you affect it and it affects you. This is your environment.
Why protect environment…?
- Coral reefs provide food, storm protection, tourism and other benefits, yet 70% of coral reefs are threatened or destroyed
- 6 to 8 million people die annually from water-borne diseases and disasters.
- More than 700 million people do not have access to clean water and more than 2 billion have sanitation problems.
- Existing forests and their soils absorb one quarter of all carbon emissions.
- Deforestation contributes 15-17% of total carbon emissions – more than all the world’s ships, cars, trains and planes. Avoiding deforestation is a cost effective means to lower carbon emissions.
Together we can…
EXAMPLE: The Ozone Layer “Hole” which is 29 million square kilometers, is expected to be fully healed in the next 55 years. This is due to the worldwide banning of chlorofluorocarbon and hydrofluorocarbon.
AFTER CONSERVATION: Globally, the net rate of conversion of some ecosystems has begun to slow, and in some regions ecosystems are returning to more natural states.
NOTE: With an annual investment of US$45 billion in protected areas we could protect natural services worth some US$5 trillion: an extremely good benefit-cost ratio of 100:1.
What we do…
We are promoting environmental conservation and health and safety through Online channels and Offline channels.
- Gather and share environmental facts and information so that to rise attention on environmental issues
- Conduct environmental assesment studies to understand effects social and economic issues on environment
- Conduct workshops and seminars about environment management and conservation
- Visits in schools and industrial areas to rise awareness on environment issues
- Develop various publications about environmental issues
- Provide training to farmers and all other agriculture stakeholders on environmental health and safety issues
- Induce and support environmental management and conservation initiertves. Example, planting of trees, environment cleanlines activities
You can participate in our campaign by doing any of the following;
- Understand that your economy, health and safety depend on your environment, so it is your responsibility to protect it
- Share your knowledge to other people so that they can join forces in environmental conservation
- Support us to reach more people, share our updates, share publications etc.
- Donate to our environment protection initiatives
YOUR INSTANTLY SUPPORT…!: Support us by sharing this page to your Social Media profiles and pages